Aniva Institute

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Kick-Off Dance!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Winnie Hooper

PostSubject: Kick-Off Dance!    Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:49 am

Winnie was brimming with pride she held inside- an idea had brought itself upon her for a kick off dance, and a week since then, she stood in the min hall, surveying her labor in the form of a space cleared for a dance floor, two long tables of refreshments, adorned and organized, and bunting and banners hung across the walls in festivity and house pride. Despite her position as house head, the dance pride in no way favored Armonia, she'd focused on that especially. Each house was represented appropriately, and most even had respectively-themed treats on the tables.

Only semiformal without stress on dress, the dance would commence around 7, ending when the students grew too tired or Winnie found it absolutely necessary to stop.

6:59. More than she would admit, she was eager to please the students. There was an entire new class to impress, and she aimed to be a well-liked teacher.

She busied herself with checking the status of everything once more as students began to roam in.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Maria Mikhailovna

PostSubject: Re: Kick-Off Dance!    Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:28 am

Masha glanced up at the master clock floating above the dance floor. What an odd school... Masha realized that in all of her years of moving and going to different schools and different towns, she had never officially been to a dance. Furthermore, she had never danced.

She supposed that her mama could not prepare her for everything in the world, and at least, she had given her the biggest fighting chance. Masha practiced many languages and many backstories, so when it came down to it, she could survive. But, dancing, no, dancing was never included in the list of survival skills.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bianca Martinez

PostSubject: Re: Kick-Off Dance!    Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:26 am

((OOC: I'm so glad u posted tbh i didnt want to be the only one posting in the dance lmao))

There were three reasons why Bianca ended up showing her face at the Kick-Off Dance.

First of all, she wanted to change the way she was seen at school. When she was younger everyone always thought of her as the stereotypical shy kid who didn't talk to people but got really attached when she did. 'I'm not that bad,' she thought, scowling slightly as her eyes roamed over the various decorations displayed in the halls. If anyone asked, she decided, this was the reason she would tell people. Nothing wrong with wanting to have a different reputation this time around.

The second reason for being there was simply curiosity. She had never attended a dance before (and had never wanted to, either.)

Okay. So the main reason she was there was really because Penny had said she'd be there. But she had a feeling that if she told people that they would think she was weird. The thought of going somewhere and meeting up with an actual friend seemed bigger than it really was for someone like Bianca. After all, she didn't really keep friends. They always ended up getting scared away. Penny didn't seem like she'd be getting scared away anytime soon.

On the other hand, none of the others had. Bianca pondered over this depressing thought as her eyes traveled again over the room and it's contents. A little voice in her head told her that it was better to just leave and pretend she never came. She quickly located a chair, sat down, and dug her fingernails into her palms. 'Don't leave yet,' she thought to herself, 'Give it at least an hour. If you still don't like it then, you can go back to your dorm.'
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lisette Lach-Leon

PostSubject: Re: Kick-Off Dance!    Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:27 pm

The schooling difference between primary school and the institute was a renewed realization in Lisette as she hurried in, none too dressy in a dusty blue dress. The dance alone was more extravagant than her first school altogether, and it was just a microcosm for the whole institute. It was wonderful, energizing, something new to notice with every glance about.

She'd never listened to wizarding music before, and smiled out of amusement at some line sung about a centaur. In contrast, it had a nice rhythm, catchy enough.

She decided to start with familiar faces and work her way around, and began to wander, busying herself with moving along to the song and smiling like she knew what she was looking for.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MacKenzie Young

PostSubject: Re: Kick-Off Dance!    Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:13 pm

Mac took a deep breath in, the first move was always the hardest part. He didn't mind the stares, or the whispers, those petty acts didn't phase him one bit. But gathering up the courage to open the door, to take the first step onto the dance floor, even thinking about it made him uneasy.

In that moment, he almost left. There were too many ways it could all go wrong, someone could confront and harm him, everyone could start laughing, he could be so nervous that he tripped and knocked down the entire snacks table, ruining his one nice tux. "Don't be ridiculous," he muttered to himself, "this is a school for misfits, and you're one crazy, gender-fluid freak. You should fit right in."

He reached out to grab the door handle, quickly turning the knob and throwing the door open. "Hey. if I can't be accepted here, I can't be accepted anywhere." He murmured, stepping into the room with confidence.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Maria Mikhailovna

PostSubject: Re: Kick-Off Dance!    Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:48 pm

Masha suddenly spotted a face in the crowd with whom she was familiar with, and she came running out. "Lisette, Lisette!" she called, not a hint of grace in her sloppy running, grabbing up her dress skirts and making a big fuss about it all.

"There you are! I needed someone to talk to."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lisette Lach-Leon

PostSubject: Re: Kick-Off Dance!    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:05 pm

Elsie beamed at Masha, still admirable in all her stumbling hurry, and laughed lightly at just the familiar face she'd been subconsciously looking for and was glad she hadn't had to search too hard.

"Well, good evening, Masha!" Fully prepared on being someone to talk to, all day, every day. "You a dancer?"

Elsie herself was not, technically, a dancer, but she could balter about like any good foolish lover of music.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Maria Mikhailovna

PostSubject: Re: Kick-Off Dance!    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:20 pm

Masha grinned. "Not in any conventional ways. But I'd rather be a dancer than a singer." She wrinkled her nose.

"Come to think of it, wasn't every young girl once a dancer? We all took lessons at some point or another, right?" she asked Lisette, wondering if the world was the same for Lisette's side.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lisette Lach-Leon

PostSubject: Re: Kick-Off Dance!    Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:41 pm

She considered, looking past Masha and to the floor for a moment, with intent and spaciness alike. She hadn't taken dance lessons, had chosen instruments over the tired state too much dancing left her in. But, despite lacking profession, she would still take Eloise's hands in hers and smaller feet on her toes to waddle around the living room to her parent's ancient record player for as long as Eloise could focus on it, which left laughter ringing through the halls for hours.

"No, but my sister did," She recalled the years after their foolish 'practicing' before Eloise really began. "It's true, dancing is a staple. Oddly enough, I cannot dance well. Not in shorts and not in a dress."

But she smiled, because she had fun with it despite. "Oh! Forgot to ask- what house were you put it? Did you meet anyone?" She was more than Istina pride. She almost felt an enthusiasm for every house, a characteristic which would challenge her, if house point competitions came.

Last edited by Lisette Lach-Leon on Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Maria Mikhailovna

PostSubject: Re: Kick-Off Dance!    Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:49 pm

"Pravazhno," Masha stated rather pridefully, holding up her head and moving her hands to her hips, smiling and shaking her entire body with one swift movement.

"Why? What house were you settled into? Clearly not my own. Would have seen you. Haven't met too many in my own group, but I've seen some others in other places."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Winnie Hooper

PostSubject: Re: Kick-Off Dance!    Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:47 pm

///OOC: Hey loves!! Masha and myself did some brainstorming to put a little spin on the dance Cool Many of the refreshments have a potion of some sort thrown in- like alihotsy in the apple juice, babbling beverage in the butterbeer, amortentia in the cupcakes. Whatever you'd like to do! Just something for some motivation and fun ^_^///

Winnie paused in her stroll around the table, hit with an odd vibe that something was up. Not too unfamiliar a feeling, having worked at Aniva for a few years now. She focused intently, trying her best to look discreet. Finally, noticing an Frelast student she knew, a girl from her advanced Herbology class, with frighteningly gray hair, uncharacteristic of the normally dark brunette.

The girl, calm and respectable on even her bad days, was shaking, flipping her hands over and over again in disbelief. Squinting, Winnie noticed the blue veins popping along her wrist and the wrinkles covering her hands. She looked around frantically, in utter disbelief no one else was noticing this happening, and on that cue, Winnie rushed over.

"Miss Villemaire!" Winnie shared in her panic. "What is going on?!"

Her wide eyes looked up at Winnie, and in a slightly raspy, aged voice, she exclaimed, "I'M OLD!"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Penny Silver

PostSubject: Re: Kick-Off Dance!    Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:17 am

((OOC: im messing with the cupcakes u cant stop me))

About ten minutes had passed since Penny arrived in the main hall, and already she had spoken to more people than she could remember. The exciting feeling seemed to soak into everyone's brains, some perhaps a little too much. A few people she had encountered seemed to have a hardcore case of what her Mum used to refer to as 'the giggles'.

Something seemed a bit missing, though. She was sure there was something she was meant to do here, other than be present.

"Might as well do something instead of standing still and looking like an idiot," she idly muttered as, still thinking, she wandered over to one of the tables of refreshments.

Oh, yeah. As her eyes lazily lingered on the swirly patterns on some cupcakes, she suddenly remembered a conversation she had had a few days ago.

"So... Bianca, was it?"

"Yeah?"

"Are you going to the Kick-Off Dance? I've heard most people are."

"I... Probably not. I'm not the kind of person to go to social events."

"Awh, come on! If you cant find anyone else there who you know, you can always talk to me! I'll be there."

"... Alright. I guess it couldn't hurt."

Penny wondered if she actually came or not. Maybe Bianca had only said she would come so she wouldn't keep nagging her about out. Or maybe she was there, somewhere, in the loud, thriving mass of people.

"Only one way to find out."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bianca Martinez

PostSubject: Re: Kick-Off Dance!    Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:00 am

"Only one way to find out what?" The two conversations Bianca had initiated since she'd been at Aniva had been because of Penny talking to herself. Whether that was a normal habit or not, she wasn't sure, but either way, she was glad to have something to bring up.

She watched with slight amusement as Penny spun on the spot, eyes wide. "Oh! There you are. I, uh, I was just wondering if you came or not."

Admittedly, the urge had been pretty strong to just not turn up. "I did say I was going to," she took an interest in her fingernails, continuing, "I figured I should go through with what I said."

"Well, I'm glad you're here." Penny held up two cupcakes, one in each hand, "Want one?"

Frowning, Bianca said slowly, "I don't... I don't usually eat in public." She felt a warmth spread through her cheeks, fearing a negative reaction.

But none came. "You sure? Nobody's looking." Penny gestured towards the other side of the hall, where there appeared to be some kind of drama going down, "Everyone's sorta absorbed in themselves at the moment. I dunno why everyone's acting weird but we might as well make the most of it."

'Come on, come on. Just do it. Eat the damn cupcake. Nobody's judging you, just eat it.' A few seconds passed while she stared at the cupcakes until finally, with an inaudible sigh, she took one in her hands. "I actually haven't eaten anything since this morning," she admitted quietly, before taking a hesitant bite.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Winnie Hooper

PostSubject: Re: Kick-Off Dance!    Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:27 am

Winnie inhaled sharply through clenched teeth, noting that the success of the food was, in fact, unfortunate. Miss Villemaire's situation had opened her eyes, and she noted the kids with tongues that could not stop blabbering, another poor kid with spirally gray hair not growing too far from his head, another stuck gazing and drooling at the old man-kid with utter infatuation.

She realized she had been tightly holding onto the girl's hand, and then suddenly, let go.

"The charm should wear off shortly," She said, entirely calmly. "You'll be alright."

Wide-eyed and dazed, the student nodded and went to sit down.

Whoever had sabotaged the food, only intended fun. Any potion would wear off or have a simple antidote.

Winnie came to terms with it: There was no stopping it now, so might as well let it play out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lisette Lach-Leon

PostSubject: Re: Kick-Off Dance!    Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:45 pm

Elsie nodded, her admiration reinforced. Even being new to Aniva, she had a ridiculous respect for Pravazhno. It made perfect sense to her Masha should be one.

"You'll fit in perfect," She smiled, warmed by the idea of the absolute perfect fit. "Myself, I'm in Istina. I've yet to know much about it."

She heard laughing by the table of foods, and at the thought, her stomach growled. "Are you hungry? The refreshments sound extremely appealing to me. I'll be right back."

She went over, tempted by the smell of muffins to the right. A student stood by them, immersed in the smell as well with one held in his palms.

"Those smell amazing," She noted.

He nodded, and with a mouth still full of his first bite, said, "Yeah, the walnuts are the best part."

Further tempted, she took one, and with her first bite, a bit of walnut too large lodged itself in her throat. She coughed. And coughed again.

She flapped about her hand about at the boy, her eyes watering. I need a drink!!.

He dropped his muffin on the table in a flurry of a panic, and grabbed a glass of pre-poured apple juice so quickly it spilled some.

She swallowed it urgently, still panicking, and suddenly the boy beside her burst into unreserved laughter- loud, full, and hysterical. Having fixed the problem, she put the juice down. She looked at him, wheezing with laughter, and began, "What's so fun-"

Her voice, which had reached her throat as offended, came off her tongue as high as a chipmunk's.

She was mortified and mystified, and before she had the chance to ask what the hell he'd done, laughter bubbled up inside her and burst, and she found her self crying with high, pitch-y laughter, looking mad and far too bold, beside this boy she'd never met, in the corner of the hall.

Last edited by Lisette Lach-Leon on Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:36 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I wrote arms watering and not eyes ??)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Penny Silver

PostSubject: Re: Kick-Off Dance!    Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:06 pm

Icing was always Penny's favourite part of a cupcake. She loved sweet things. Unnaturally so, in fact. One time, back home in England, she was with her, um, friend, and she downed a shot of sugar. Like, a literal shot. From a shot glass. Not a flinch or hesitation. She smiled at the memory, licking icing from her fingers.

"You were right about this," Bianca said suddenly, "I'm so glad I came. If I hadn't I'd just be stuck in my dorm wishing I'd went. And I'm glad you're here with me!" Unexpectedly, she giggled.

Well, that was weirdly adorable. Licking the last of the icing, Penny said, "I'm glad you're happy."

She stepped into a little space, between the table and a small group of students. "I'm more than happy! I'm..." Her eyebrows knitted together as she tried to think of a word, "...Exhilarated." As her mouth formed the word, she started spinning on the spot. "There's all these new sensations and things I've never witnessed before because I've kept away from it all of my life!"

Mildly alarmed by the sudden giddiness, Penny hesitated, "I'm... Glad?" Her eyes followed the movement of the long colourful skirt the other girl was wearing. It spun and flared out in a way that was strangely hypnotising.

"You like what I'm wearing? My mom made me pack it in case I did anything nice. Back then I was reluctant but now I'm glad she made me bring it because right now I feel so- what was the word I used before? Ex... Exhilarated!"

Penny blinked twice. Okay, so there was something definitely wrong. Although, maybe wrong wasn't the word to use. If anything, there was something so right about Bianca's smile at this moment. It seemed so natural, in a way it hadn't been any other time. Genuine happiness seemed to radiate off her, and Penny was finding it increasingly difficult to look away. Wearing a slight smile of her own, she said, "This may be the best I've seen you so far." She took a sip of butterbeer, and felt herself fill with little bubbles of energy. There was definitely something in the food around here.

Abruptly, Bianca stopped spinning. She wobbled slightly. "Y'know what?" Her entire face was an interesting shade of pink, and she was visibly out of breath but paid no attention to it. "You are definitely my favourite person around here. You're so nice to me. You don't even have a reason to be nice to me! You just are. I hope we end up being best friends forever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever-"

In the middle of a sea of 'and ever's, Penny interrupted to say, "You're so sweet to me." She loved sweet things.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lisette Lach-Leon

PostSubject: Re: Kick-Off Dance!    Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:13 pm

"Okay, okay," Elsie gasped, each between another resounding laugh alongside the other student's. She needed to fix her voice on helium, but couldn't bring herself to stop laughing. Literally- she wasn't even humored.

"Du-ude," She managed over inhalation.

"I- can't- stop- either-" He stammered, between snorts and giggles.

Shaking from laughter she couldn't bite her tongue down on, she spotted a teacher a few feet away, going up to them and holding her breath.

"Excuse m-" Laughter escaped with her breath and she erupted with laughter, boldly in their face. The teacher frowned, disrespected and horrified, turning away and mumbling about teenagers.

With the only solution having worked so far, Elsie then drew in a long breath, her cheeks puffing out like the chipmunk she sounded like, and met her new friend's panicked eyes with her own, noticing he had copied her.

She raised her hands, shrugging, a what do we do?

He frowned, an odd facial expression mixed with his cheeks. He motioned and looked to the table, then looked back at her, his eyebrows knitted together in concern but desperation.

Her lungs were growing tight. He was suggesting trial and error, maybe an antidote in the food. Despite being the optimist, Elsie knew anyone who would start chaos like this would certainly not put an antidote in the food. She shook her head slightly, and then burst, her purple face the epicenter of the laughter bouncing around the walls. Her chest began to hurt.

Inspired by only wanting silence, she pulled her wand out of the small party cross-body bag she was wearing, and while the boy's eyes were shut laughing with his head thrown back, she cast between laughs, "Silencio!"

His laughter hushed. He looked at her, his mouth slightly agape, without a noise. His face read something like better, I suppose. He took her wand from her and did the same to her, and the two stood, hunched over in catching their breath, smiling, in ironic silence.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kick-Off Dance!    

Back to top Go down

Kick-Off Dance!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1